One Wheel From Two

Created on 19 Oct 2021

If you can't afford a One Wheel like those grad students outside CIC who let you ride it, just convert a hoverboard!

Turned a cheap hoverboard into a One Wheel by reconfiguring parts and machining new ones. Its so slow you can't possibly get hurt! Will include some speed and range mods for those with a bigger budget hehe ;)


Alby Penney


David Barajas

Part Cost Quantity Total
The Frame $28.03 1 $28.03
5 feet of 1"x2" OD 6061 Aluminum U-channel
The Tire $29.15 1 $29.15
13x6.5-6 Tire for drag-racing lawnmowers
The Tube $11.99 1 $11.99
Inner tube for the tire to ensure a smooth ride
The Foot Sensor $4.95 1 $4.95
Flexible resistive velostat sensor for foot control
The Backup Wheels $3.60 2 $7.20
Casters for the front to mitigate nose-dive accidents (which will never happen of course)
The hoverboard $155.00 1 $155.00
700W Hoverboard with 8.5 in wheels to be converted into a one wheel (from Alibaba = forsure legit!)
The power $4.95 1 $4.95
30V/10A Digital voltmeter/ampmeter to display battery pack voltage and current draw
The Grip $8.99 1 $8.99
Grip Tape for traction
Project Totals: 9 $250.26
Track 1 Base Budget: $250.00
Preferred Vendor Budget Bonus: $0.00
Remaining Budget: $-0.26
Alby Penney 13 Feb 2022, 2:06 p.m. EST
Day 5: Created motor and battery wire harnesses, improved axle mounts and ran first big test which just made a lot of scary noises. (turns out BOTH bearings are necessary).
Alby Penney 22 Jan 2022, 10:41 p.m. EST
Day 1: Picked up parts and fully disassembled hoverboard (after some nerve-racking riding around techspark). We removed mounting brackets and attempted unsuccessfully to bolt together the two hubs.
Alby Penney 13 Feb 2022, 2:06 p.m. EST
Day 2.5: Completed full tire assembly and developed frame design sketches based on collected measurements from tire assembly.
Alby Penney 13 Feb 2022, 2:05 p.m. EST
Day 3: Short day, Continued frame design, 3d printed non-fitting hub supports far too many times out of PLA until we discovered the magic of flexible TPU 95.
Alby Penney 13 Feb 2022, 2:06 p.m. EST
Day 4: Frame day, ditched C-channel and used 80/20 aluminum extrusion instead to build first prototype frame with footboards.
Alby Penney 13 Feb 2022, 2:07 p.m. EST
Day 6: Discovered a unique challenge to combining 2 wheels into 1: aligning the BLDC motor magnets. Initially the magnets were misaligned by 4 degrees, which is exactly half the width of a magnet, resulting in out-of-phase signals to the motors from each controller that prevented the motors from turning synchronously! After realigning both the magnets and hall-effect sensors, we noticed a much smoother operation.
Alby Penney 13 Feb 2022, 2:07 p.m. EST
Day 7: A great tragedy struck, we tested replacement board, which was broken from the start ;( and also fried the 2 sideboards from the initial parts list. ESD safety should not be taken lightly!
Alby Penney 13 Feb 2022, 12:39 p.m. EST
Day 2: Discovered that the stator is removable, so we achieved the priority milestone of making one wheel from two and its only downhill from this point on.